Thursday, August 9, 2007

Extracts from the Diary of Robert Lindsay


15th of June 1888 – England

Got up early and commenced getting ready for my journey to Scotland. I got a little to eat and bade the brethren goodbye. Hired a man to help me carry my things to the station and he took me to the wrong station, and so I missed the train and got very tired. Got next train and arrived in Glasgow in the evening, tired enough. Passed through Preston on the way and saw lots of coal pits; also the Wigan Canal; hills with nothing much but little short-legged black-faced sheep and heather on them. I saw one of them standing on a rock and I thought of Uncle John Murdock and wondered if he ever had seen such a sight.

Passed through Otemholm, a small town with some fine rock houses. Then Tobay Junction, and Penrith. Rough country with small sheep and heather on the hills. Carlile with it’s castles, and Awcondou (?); which is a large and fine city. Some fine cattle in the fields of the Polled Angus variety. Boattock Carotsire (?). Saw two old ruined castles. Wishau, with coal pits and blast furnaces; then Motherwell. Not Brothers Davidson and Low, also a one-armed brother from Utah. They made me welcome.

16th of June 1888

Got up feeling rested and washed and went to writing in my diary; and wrote a letter to President Tocadale (?). Took breakfast, wrote and posted a letter to Brother Chipmen; and then in company with Brothers Davidson and Low went and saw some boat races, which were very exciting and looked very nice. The atmosphere is quite cool and I was glad to get to our quarters. We only take two meals per day. That is all that the Bretheren take in Liverpool at the office.

17th of June 1888

Got up in fair time and washed and started to write, being in a hurry to get my diary up-to-date. Took breakfast and went over to meeting in company with Brother Davidson, Brother Low having gone to visit another Branch early in the morning. They have Sunday School at , which we attended, and all took part in the Book of Mormon Class, and had a good time. At o’clock the meeting was held and there were quite a nice lot of people present, with us for strangers. I had the privilege of speaking first and made a few remarks. Then a Brother Little preached his farewell sermon, expecting to leave in a few days for Utah. After meeting Sister Dunn asked me to go to dinner with her. We had a good time at Brother Dunn’s. They seem to be a very fine family, and greatly desire to gather to Zion.

Meeting at 6:30. Brother Ligget (?) occupied the time.

18th of June 1888

Got up in pretty fair time and washed and went at my diary in good earnest, knowing that tomorrow, all being well, I will be off for Kilmarnock. Took breakfast and asked Sister Walker to try and have my clothes done so that I can get them tonight, and she will have them ready, she says. I wrote a letter to Cousin Martin, also one to Brother James, sending them my address, 159 Matheson Street South Side, care of Robert Davidson. I have written a letter to President Hatch to kind of answer for the wards or people of Heber City.

I am lonesome here when I have nothing to do. I am eager to be away to find out the worst, and I do feel my weakness in starting away alone on such a mission. But I do earnestly ask my Father in Heaven to help me. Oh, how I do pray in my heart to be made equal to every duty that I may have to perform.

I paid Sister Walker for washing my clothes, 10 pence. I also paid for my meals, 4 pence each meal, and gave two shillings for the Store. I went out into the street a little while today and saw a crowd of people standing at a druggist’s window, and learned that a boy six years old had been killed in the street just a few minutes before. I went and saw how he was killed. Some iron had been laid up against the inside of a board shed, and the iron pushed the boards off and it fell on him and killed him. And in an hour another one got run over with a cart and he was not expected to live. So that is the way things go in Glasgow.

19th of June 1888

It is a beautiful morning. I left Glasgow at 20 minutes past 10 o’clock and arrived in Kilmarnock at a few minutes past 11. Went straight to Mill Land and saw the old house that we used to live in. The windows were all broken and the house empty. Then I went to the graveyard and tried to find Father’s grave but could not find anything of it. But knelt down and consecrated the grave and its surroundings and asked God to take especial care of his resting place until the morning of the first resurrection. I have got a few daisies and pansies from the ground as near to where he lies as I could remember.

I then went up to the Enscbrae (?) and found John Murry and wife and wife and enquired about George Johnson’s widow. Took dinner with Brother Murry and am now getting ready to walk to Kilmaure to see if I can find Mrs. Johnsaon. I visited Burn’s monument on the banks of the Kilmarnock River, then I visited the pit where Father was killed. It is still going a very little but they are sinking the shaft deeper.

I made my way to Kilmaurs and in due time I found Mrs. Johnson and she received me kindly and told me I could stay as long as I liked. Her daughter Marget, when she came home, seemed quite sociable and took me to see her sisters and I feel quite at home here. Went to bed at well after 12 and slept pretty well.

20th June 1888

Did not get up until very late. It is the Fair Day here and I am going to see the cattle, all being well. It is a little colder this morning. The cattle are commencing to pass the window now as I write. I have got some flowers here and am going to send some of them home. I visited the cattle fair and saw some very fine looking cows and some beautices, but I was disappointed in seeing so many poor cattle, but I learn that all the cattle that are here are for sale. There is some great talk during their bargaining, all loud and in broad Scotch. I could hear them saying to each other, “cum on Jock, or Jimie, or Rob, gets another haf crun”, or something like that, and all the time holding out their hands and then they have another gill, but nobody drunk, but all happy and good natured. Of course, it is Fair day and that only comes twice a year.

21st June 1888

I forgot I had a long walk with Wm. Paterson yesterday. I visited Kilmurs old graveyard and saw some very old grave stones; 1623, 1674, 1677, 1696, 1729. I also met the Minister, Mr. Ingles, who refused to give us any assistance to get to America. The poor man has had trouble enough since that time and is very little thought of amongst the people generally. I have been visiting the different daughters of Mrs. Johnstone today and finished a letter for home. I am at Wm. Patersons. I went in company with him and visited Row Allan Castle and got some dates off the walls – 1562, 1641. Part of the building is evidently much older for that part with those dates on them are in a good state of preservation, while some has gone to ruin. And the keeper of the castle said there was no doubt in his mind but that the ruined portion was built six or seven hundred years ago. The gates are dated 1661. Some of the outhouses are dated 1683. We had a very pleasant walk and saw and heard a pheasant cock crow. I had my letters addressed to Mr. Paterson for the time being.

22nd June 1888

Did not get out very early. Went to Mack’s well for water to wash. Took breakfast and went and bade folks good bye and started for Crosshuso; and on the way visited Busbey Old Castle. Then John Cameron’s old place, and found a son in the place doing business. He could not tell me anything about Hugh Anderson. I then went to Douglass’ Blacksmith shop and Bruce Douglass told me that Old Man Anderson was still alive and he thought that he lived in Riccarton. I then went to the Leobornd Row and then to Thornton Row. Went into the house that we lived in and got a drink of water. Then I went to where the old coddle pit used to be and had a look at the place. It is all filled up, and the whin pit is all filled up too; and the railroad all ploughed up and fields all changed. I then went to the Milton Dam and up to the old Brig where the man and woman drowned themselves. While on the way from the dam to the Brig an old man overtook me and said his name was Wm. Aird, and he said he knew my father. He gave me some information about the country. I then went through the fields to Big Gatehead farm and on to Gatehead; and am now seated on the bank of the Irvon Water in plain sight of where old Rome stood. It is all gone but the school house. Old Bobin Dickie’s house looks better than when I saw it last. It has just been thatched lately. Todd’s farm is still to the fore. Many of the old houses of Gatehead are gone. The one that we lived in is partly down and partly standing. I am not feeling very strong today.

I am now at Dondonald Castle and on the sunny side. When I have finished my dinner I am going to write a letter to Br. Davidson. I have done both so will look around the old castle. Had a good look but could get no dates. Cut my initials in a rock in the wall. I am now resting by the way as I travel to Tarbolton. I am tired now but have 5 miles to go yet. I am now within 2 ¾ miles of Tarbolton. I have passed an old castle. I think it is called Craigie Castle. I am now at Failtoole. I passed through Tarbolton. Could not get a place to sleep. Went to a place called Ray, a farm house, and found Cousin William Howie. Stayed all night and had a little talk with him. The people were very kind.

23rd June 1888

Got up in fair time and took breakfast and then bade them all goodbye and started for Ann Bank. Arrived there in due time and then to Burnbray; then up on to the railroad bridge and had a fine view of the water Ayr and Knocknoggle home, and beautiful woods on either side of the river. I see the Cushidoo, the Lark and many other birds that I can hear but not see. They are singing in the trees. I have been to Tarhence and Craidhow and am now at Wallace’s Well, and I feel very weak and shaky. I have been to Berrackbow and got a drink of water out of an old well there, also some flowers. Passed down through the Lagland Woods. They look lovely. I took a long look at Oswald’s Brig and surroundings. I walked on to Aly Ayr and tried to find Elias Anderson but could not find him.

I am awful tired. My legs fairly tremble under me. I rested under a chestnut tree and the branches extend 21 yards and make a beautiful shale over the side walk. I took the train for Tarbolton in the evening and arrived at where Cousin Adam Howie is living with his grandmother at 7 o’clock p.m. Very tired. The old lady made me welcome and got me some supper. She gave me some nice milk. I was very glad to get to bed and get my boots off for my feet are very sore. I met a man at Tarbolton station that I had seen before and we had a very pleasant talk all the way from the station to Tarbolton.

24th June 1888

Got up in fair time and washed and took breakfast of porridge and milk, and ont cake and fresh herring and tea. The folks are very kind to me and every one of them tries to make me comfortable. I have been to see the cows and coops. Some of the crops look very poor, their cows are pretty poor, the hay good Ryegrass and looks very well. I also saw a lark’s nest and three young ones in it. Uncle George Howie died 18th Dec. 1885, aged 59 years. Aunt Ann Crawford Howie was born 9th Oct, 1840, died 22nd March 1886. Her brother, Charles Crawford, was born 8th Oct 1833 and died 28th April 1888. Charle’s Mother, Marion Stewart Crawford, was born 8th or 10th July 1807. Her husband, Adam Crawford, was born 15th Nov 1808, died 15th Nov 1883. I visited Burn Weal monument in company with Cousins William and Adam Howie, and a grandson of Grandmother Crawford. Also visited the tronches, or the battle field where William Wallace fought. We came home to Mayers and bade William goodbye.

25th June 1888

Started on my journey for Coylton. Visited Sandy Blackwood and he went with me to St. Cuivox graveyard and I got some dates off the grave stones. He then walked on with me and we met Tom Blackwood in the road and had a talk. We then went in at the gate house and down the coach road to Auchinerey. Big house. It is a beautiful place. We went all around it and out at Oswald’s Brig. Saw the place where the old peelhill pit used to be, then up through the fields to Craidhaw. There Sandy left me and I went on up the hill to Birclauch farm house, and asked for something to eat and got it. The son of the house walked with me along the road a long way and gave me his father’s and mother’s names. I see Joppa now and am not far from Sandhill.

Reached Sandhill Cottages very tired and gave out and found the doors locked at half past two o’clock p.m. I had to lay down by the dike. I could not go any farther. After I had rested about three hours I got up and went to a farm house and asked for broher McClean’s folks and found Sister Mclean at the house, helping to milk their cows. She could not leave with me but told me where to find the key and go into the house. So I went back and got the key and went in and left my overcoat and then went to where Brother McLean was breaking stones on the road, and he came to the house with me and seemed very pleased to meet me, and both he and his wife were very kind to me. I am feeling very weak in my limbs tonight, but we are feeling well in spirit and looking forward to better days. Got to bed late.

26 Jun 1888

Did not get up very early, it being late before I got to sleep. Took breakfast and then wrote a letter, or rather finished one to brother William, and put some flowers in it, then after dinner went with Brother McLean to a potato field and had some talk with some of the farm servants. Came home to Brother McLean’s and wrote a letter to Brother Davidson, telling him just how I feel. My legs are very weak at the present time. I bore my testimony to the farm servants and told them to flee from the judgments that are to come. Told them that peace would be taken from the earth shortly and would not be found anywhere upon the earth except amongst the despised Mormons.

27 June 1888

Got up in pretty good time and washed and took breakfast alone as all the rest had had breakfast. I did not get much sleep all night, having taken tea for supper. I did not get to sleep until after 3 o’clock in the morning. Consequently I am feeling rather sorry today.

Grandmother Howie was born at Lismahagn, Lanarkshire. Grand Uncle William Blackwood died Jan 22, 1837, aged 42 years. Great Grandmother Christina Kennedy died July 1845 aged, 72. Grand Uncle Andrew Blackwood died June 5 1851, aged 41. Great Grandfather George Blackwood died July 28, 1831, aged 65. Andrew McCall was born June 15, 1806, died July 4, 1887. Agnes Lochart McCall was born 1806, died July 23, 1872.

I am feeling very weak and miserable today, but hoping to be relieved soon from my pain. I got to bed at 10 o’clock.

28 June 1888

Got out in tolerable good time and washed and took beakfast and am now ready to go to help Brother McLean to break a few stones. I did just the least work possible yesterday. Still my left hand has a blister on it. Still I cannot travel, neither can I lie still. My limbs are very weak today and I feel miserable. I have been out and broken a few stones but got tired very quickly. I have a pain in my back or loins that makes me quite useless. I helped Brother McLean to hoe a few potatoes and then I pulled one of my teeth that was loose and bothering me. It is raining some today. Helped to get some flowers to decorate a cart for a trip for the S.S. children.

29 June 1888

I feel a little chilly this morning. I wrote a letter to Charles Tillack. I have taken several walks today, not feeling very well, my limbs being weak. I went and prayed to God, my Heavenly Father, and in answer to my prayers the impression came to me that these people, of this land, have been warned and have rejected the Gospel, but there are many very many honest people who have lived and died in this land who never heard the Gospel. Get some of their names and go and do work for them and God will aid and bless you in your labor.

I have taken a walk and my legs seem easier when walking a little. I cannot rest while laying still. I want to be doing something. I have just been out listening to the Corncrake. It has a very peculiar song. Sister McLean gave me 1 shilling to pay my fare to Kilmarnock.

30 June 1888

Got up early and got ready for my journey. Went to Alows Old Kirk yard and saw Sister Jonnies grave. Saw the well where Mongas Mither hanged herself. One grave dated 1691. Saw the Christening pool or bowl in the wall. Burns was sprinkled from this. Also the winock bunker in the wall of the kirk. The date that the kirk has on it is 1516. The bell is 235 years old and still intact. Visited Burnes Monument and saw Tom O’Shanter and Suitor Jonnie, and had a fie view of the Bonnie Doon and the surrounding hills. Walked over the Old Bridge and cut my initials on a stone. Also walked over the new bridge and cut my name on that. Then Brother McLean paid my fare in a cab to Ayr. It is a fine drive. We met the school children in the carts; then went to the Low Green and saw the children.

Bade Brother McLean goodbye and took train for Kilmarnock. Arrived in due time and got my satchel and started for Kilmaurs and there found letters from home, also one from Liverpool that I had sent by mistake. Still feeling very tired and weak in my limbs. Wrote letters to Brothers Teasdale and Davidson; and did not go to bed very early.

1 July 1888

Got up in pretty good time and got water from the Monks well and washed and got ready for Riccarton. Maggie Johnstone went part of the way with me. We had a very pleasant time. I found Hugh Anderson and got the information that I desired. Then I walked to some rows of houses called Peace and Plenty at Coporton and visited one of John Myrry’s daughters. Her name is Martha McNight. We had a very good time. I bore my testimony to them. I then went and saw Mrs. Aird and her daughter and had a very pleasant time. I bore my testimony to them.

I then went and found where mother’s uncle John Howie lived but did not go in, there being some strangers there. Walked to Kilmaurs and found Maggie Johnstone at home. She gave me an old song book and a four-leafed clover, and a small twig of Boxwood, also a thimble and thimble case for Elisa. It was bought at Burnes Monument.

2nd July 1888

Got up in pretty good time and washed and took a walk and then got ready for breakfast. Am now ready for Cumnock. Walked to Kilmarnock and took the train for old Cumnock, and walked in the rain two miles. Found John McDougal and he gave me what information he had. The folds gave me some dinner and he walked to Old Cumnock with me, and I took the train for Kilmarnock. I visited Mother’s Uncle John Howie, and they treated me very kind. I had to take a cup of tea and some biscuits. Took my umbrella to get fixed and then bought a dosen more horn spoons and paid 4 shillings and 5 pence for them; then visited John Murry, and then went to Pie Whites and got a pie. Wm. MacKilpie baker compliments William Honnah. Visited William Fulton and family and they were very kind to me and gave me two cards and asked me to stay all night, so I consented.

Saw Arthur Cunningham in the Star Inn. Paid James Adams 18 pence for fixing my umbrella and had a sociable time with Uncle William Fulton and Mr. Adams. It rained all day and I feel kind of sore. Saw the little chairs that Mother and all the family of children were taught to sit in at Mr. Fulton’s. Mr. Fulton and Aunt Jane had three children; William Howie Fulton, Jane Fulton and John Fulton. John is dead. Address: William Fulton, 2 Paxton St., Kilmarnock.

3rd July 1888

Got up in good time and washed and went with Mr. Fulton to Paxton’s Brewery, and saw their place. They make lots of beer. Then we got on the cart and rode to his house and took breakfast and bade the folks goodbye, and rode with him on the cart to Kilmaurs. It is a cold raw day and looks very much like rain. I did not get any letters. I cut two little pieces of lead off the inside of Wallace’s Monument at Burn Weal and put them in my button sack. I forgot that yesterday I saw Hurlford and Galston; Auchinleck Mauchline, also the Balachmile Bridge. It is a lovely country all along this track. I wrote a letter to Cousin William Howie and sent him my photo. Sugar helps a fire to start if put on the embers. I took supper with Aggie Johnston’s son-in-law.

I was very much disappointed in not getting a letter from Brother Davidson. I went to bed early and my legs pained me so I did not get to sleep for a long time.

4th July 1888

Got up in pretty good time and took breakfast and bade Maggie Johnston goodbye, not expecting to see her again. I walked to Kilmarnock and took train for Ayr, then had to wait two hours for a train for Tarbolton. The station at Tarbolton is two miles from the town and I had to walk there and back and get the graveyard key and see Grandmother’s grave and get what dates I could, and be back in one and a half hours. So with sore legs and a rainy day I had all I could do comfortably. In going to Ayr I passed Gatehead and saw the field that William found the silver spoon that he has.

Drybridge is the next station. Saw Dundonald Old Castle very plainly from the cars. Saw a man watching a lot of women weeding or thinning turnips. It looked like he was driving them to their utmost, they on their knees and he with a hoe in his hand.

We are now in Brassie Station, then Troon. It is the same old dirty looking place. Then Monkton and Prestwick, then Ayr. Arrived in Ayr at 10 o’clock and had to wait two hours for a train going to Torbolten. Bought two copies of the Land of Burns View, two pocket scissors cases, two bells, some leads, two sand glasses, on magnifying glass with views in the handle, one Warren’s Cooking Book, and a cat in a shoe for Maple. Left Ayr for Tarbolton at twelve o’clock. Soon passed Auchincruive Station and saw the old school house where I used to go to school; also the St. Cuivox kirk and kirkyard.

Next station Annbank. From it you can see the Annbank rows and Craghaw and Burnha. Arrived at Tarbolton at half past twelve. Got back to Ayr at half past two o’clock and had to wait 2 ½ hours for a train to Kilmarnock. While waiting I bought some few more things, all from Ayr. Walked down the quay and saw the dry docks where they build and repair vessels. It is quite an invention. Saw part of the old city wall still standing, some of it 20 feet high and very strong. There are lots of old rock castles all over the land. Went and looked at the house where Grandmother lived. Bought 3 small nutmeg graters on the old bridge. Then walked to the station and took train for Kilmarnock; and then to Kilmaurs. Took supper and bade the folks goodbye. Took train for Glasgow and arrived about half past 9 p.m. Very tired and with a fire on my eye. Found Brothers Davidson and Low, Ligget and two other young men. Got the fire off my eye and went to bed.

5th July 1888

I feel very sore this morning. Brothers Davidson and Low helped me to the station and brother Low helped me about getting a ticket. I bade the bretheren goodby and at 20 minutes past ten o’clock I started from Glasgow. The scenery is lovely. Saw a plantation of trees on the slope of a hill. It was in the shape of a sheaf of wheat, only it was ½ or ¾ of a mile long. Saw the Clyde River away in the mountains. It is small. Saw fields of potatoes frozen. Saw soldiers encamped drilling for war all along the line.

Bristol, England seems to be quite a manufacturing town, from the number of smoke stacks and the amount of smoke there is in and around it. Wiggoni has lots of coal pits. Arrived in Liverpool and took a cab for 52 and found Brothers McAlister, Clark and Brown there. Brother Teasdale having gone out. Got some food and then Brother Teasdale came home and I had a talk with him and he said he thought it was bad enough to be in this land on a mission in good health and said he did not want me to stay any longer. Advised me to take an immediate passage on account of my health; so I did, paying 5 shillings more; costing , leaving me after my fare to the station is paid, $3.60 to pay all expenses from New York to Heber City.

Copied from the original

17 March 1963, Payson, Utah

By Alta K. Lindsay

No comments: